On July 1st, 2015 we'll be removing postbacks from Chargify. If your account has one or more sites that actively utilize postbacks, you need to make some changes in order to prevent interruption of service.
Why are we making this change?
Postbacks were our original system for notifying merchants of changes to their subscriptions. However, they had limitations in their usefulness, so four years ago we replaced them with webhooks. Since then, we have strongly advocated for using webhooks instead of the deprecated postbacks. Webhooks provide many benefits:
- More reliable: We closely track the delivery of every webhook to make sure you receive them
- More secure: Webhooks are signed so you can trust the data delivered to your systems
- More flexibility: You may choose which events generate a webhook
What do I need to do?
If you're not actively using the postback notifications you can simply choose to disable them in your settings (or do nothing and they'll be automatically deactivated on July 1st, 2015).
If you are using postbacks, you'll need to update your systems to accept webhooks instead. We recommend beginning by reading the documentation on webhooks: https://docs.chargify.com/webhooks.
A webhook contains much more information than a postback. However, you are free to 'ignore' this information and can continue to use them almost exactly how you use postbacks. Here are the key changes to be aware of:
- Webhooks have a different payload format. You'll need to be prepared to parse this new payload. If you only want to extract the subscription id, it's available as '["payload"]["subscription"]["id"]'. From there you can continue with making API calls to update your systems as normal.
- Webhooks are signed, we highly recommend you verify the signature before making use of any information in the payload.
- Webhooks send only information about only a single event for a single at a time. Postbacks could notify you about multiple subscriptions at a time. Likely you won't have to make any additional change to accomodate this, but just be aware every subscription event is delivered separately.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're providing almost six months of notice to ensure you have plenty of time to update and test your changes.